Monday 3 January 2011

Assesment draft!!! Feedback appreciated

Hi guys. Please leave any constructive comments for this. The deadline is fast approaching and I really need to get this mailed off so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I really struggled summarizing in just 750 words but I hope the appendices helps, which mainly is taken from my blog. Question: in our appendices is it okay to just put the link to our blog page or should we attach whole quotes/extracts?

A Critical Reflection on my Developing Professional Practice

This essay discusses the three main topics covered in Module WBS3002- Web 2.0 technologies, reflective practices and professional networks and what was learnt through each part.
Developing my Web 2.0 Skills
After reading through the Course Reader on ‘Professional Communications Technologies’ I feel I have come away with a much better understanding of Web 2.0. It has made me think in ways I never have before. I have learnt how to blog, upload photos to flicker (Appendix 1) and create Wiki pages (Appendix 2) as well as further developing my current skills such as YouTube (Appendix 3). I have been able to directly apply these skills for work purposes, for example I added the link to my YouTube showreel and professional Flicker photos for a recent one off dance gig. Using blogging I have been able to discuss the power of the web with others on the course looking at the pros and cons and the outcome it can have on people’s lives (Appendix 4).
I have been introduced to some new sites such as Dancers Pro and LinkedIn, which have helped in expanding my professional network. I came to question what is ‘being professional’ in terms of social networking sites, it influenced me to set up a professional Facebook account (Appendix 5). This has been successful in keeping my personal and professional lives separate.
Developing Reflective Practices
Reflective practices forces us to take a step back and look critically at our work. It is vital for professional development. Through journal writing, I have learnt that reflection is a great tool to self discovery and allows us to learn from our experiences and reflect on what has taken place. At first I was a bit skeptical to start this having made failed attempts in the past and it has been challenging to find time to write entries, but I have found it a very useful tool for my work (Appendix 6). Using the David Boud and Jennifer Moon frameworks I found I could take an important day and write about it in detail, a valuable task for not only recording the events but seeing how my opinion changed and learning from it. I found that Donald Schon’s (Appendix 7) reflecting-in-action is a task I often use in my daily professional practice, and is Reflecting-on-action through journal writing will help my professional development and is something I need to continue to improve on (Appendix 8).
Discovering that I am a kineasthetic learner (Appendix 9) allowed me to discover how best I learn. Moreover I gained good insight into my weaknesses and strengths by identifying my learning style and researching it, which I can use to my advantage.
Through looking at David Kolb’s learning cycle I discovered myself to be a Diverger (Appendix 10) I like the idea of perception continuum through which people learn by feeling as I think this is an important part of learning in dance. I am still unsure if David Kolb’s learning cycle can help in my development as a performer
I do think we have to be careful that acknowledging a particular learning style does not give us a tendency to behave in a certain manner.  However recognizing our learning style can help us to become better learners with a more positive attitude towards study and greater confidence in applying ourselves.
Developing Professional Network
I have found the course reader on The Networked Professional most interesting and of value to me at this point in time. It reiterated the importance of connectivism and technology to my professional practice (Appendix 11). It taught me that experiences, literature, talking to people are all nodes that we can learn from, challenging the traditional teaching methods. I never thought about how I can learn through engaging in various communities of practice (Appendix 12).  Sharing thoughts, ideas and experiences with others can change the way in which you think as well as affecting your actions.
 I have tested the theory of cooperation (Appendix 13) during my current contract. It has expanded my network and given me links to future jobs.  I have learnt that being a pro-active networker is vital in building on and improving your network. It is something I will be working on. Ivan Misner (Appendix 14) points out that it is how well you know people that matters. This has encouraged me to reconnect with people I have not engaged with in while through social networks and email.
I questioned why people are willing to help me out. My current dance captain is going to notify me of future jobs. Is this because she already has work lined up so doesn’t mind giving up other opportunities? The idea of why we have the need to affiliate is something I would like to discover further. (Appendix 15).
Critically looking at my current networks has helped in looking at areas I can expand and improve on. It made me realize that although I thought I had quite a large network as Ivan Misner points out it is limited if you do not keep contact with these people. I have started to expand my networks through LinkedIn and my professional Facebook page and need to continue to develop these areas (Appendix 16).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    Very enjoyable to read. Well done!

    Sorry this is a very quick message i am of to work!

    I am stuck on the appendix,to be honest i haven't got a clue. Do we just write them all down as in the hyperlink?

    Also where do you get your work spiral bound?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your a star Cerys i was panicking!

    ReplyDelete