Thursday 6 October 2011

Professional Artefact

When discussing my inquiry with Paula, something that was brought up was the Professional Artefact part of this module. She suggested getting a start on it and making sure it was not left till the last minute. In order to understand this further I looked at Rosemary McGuiness' slideshow, 'What is a Professional Artefact'. One thing stood out here and that was it should "Impress employers with your professional knowledge" (Rosemary McGuiness, 2011). This then led me to think about where I stand in my current professional practice.

As the theatre I was working at has now closed something that would be of great value for me to do is an updated resume and showreel. In doing this I plan to display my new found choreographic skills. It will have significant value to me when applying for jobs and takes what I have learnt from my previous job and puts into an artefact I can show to potential new employers. It relates to the career transition part of my professional inquiry as I have expanded my resume being the dance captain and choreographer. I have also learnt new management skills from my last job- managing the dancers, casting, producing and staging new shows which I wish to display in this artefact too. I plan to present this in a video format that will be clear and concise for my audience to view.

My second professional artefact I wish to present will be a book or pamphlet on Arts Management that will display what I have learnt from my inquiry by writing about the key management principles that underline the business of running an arts organisation or theatre. I aim to discuss the key skills an arts manager needs such as business, marketing, finance, organisation structure.  I also wish to discuss the key tips I have found to running a successful company and the common mistakes that are made in setting up a new business.

No comments:

Post a Comment