Tuesday 16 November 2010

2d Inquiry

So I sat down to start working on task 2d and struggled to come up with any one particular line of inquiry to write about. It could have something to do with the fact that I am currently not performing therefore I feel a bit out of touch with the dance world. So I thought back to previous contracts I have done, what excited me and I came up with two possibilities I could pursue.

I would like to  find out more about the backstage/production aspect of the theatre and what it would be like working behind the scenes. I have always had an interest in the roles of the production managers, agents, stage managers and casting directors. When I was working in the show 'Flip5 Live' in the USA I was appointed Dance Captain of the show. Having never been a dance captain before I was excited and nervous to start this venture. I got a huge buzz from it as it was such a challenge from just being a regular dancer. I got to work closely with the director and choreographer and my role included  new people, teaching them the show, re-staging if someone was off sick and taking notes. I also had to learn as many of the other roles as I could for teaching and in case I had to swing for someone (which happened!). I loved this role also because I finally had some authority and say. As a dancer we rarely have a voice- we are told what to do, when to do it and  how to do it. My experience as Dance Captain allowed me to see what it was like to be on the other end and give direction rather than always take it.
So my first option might be to look n more depth into the role of casting directors, production managers and what tools and skills you might need to make the jump from dancer to one of these roles.
Another issue I think would be interesting to look at is the difference between dancers and non-dancers. Currently being out of work and doing some 'regular' jobs, I have thought about this often. Why do I ave the urge to move to music when I hear it yet some people do not. Is it because I have grown up dancing and have done years of performing so my body is programmed to move? This could be an interesting subject as it could lead to a number of issues. For example the differences in dancers and non-dancers on the following:
- Eating habits
Why are eating disorders higher in dancers than non-dancers?
- Personality traits
Looking into the psychology aspects that dancers undergo. Effects of training at such a young age etc.
- Bodies (leading to injury causes etc)
The strain that dancers bodies undergo that can lead to injuries.
- Differences in genetics
Could look into the scientific studies of the differences in genes between dancers and non-dancers.
- Difference in jobs
Looking at how are dance jobs different and similar to other athletes and corporate jobs.

Researching this inquiry would lead to some interesting findings I feel as it can go so many ways. But some feedback on which topic to pursue would be appreciated. Thoughts, questions...??




2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Both of your ideas are interesting. And it is really clear and interesting how you used your current feelings and activity to get to the lines of inquiry. I think both could be interesting. I would just warn you not to think to rigidly about the method of how you would find out more - inquire. You may not have done it consciously but your descriptions of the questions your second topic raises (eating, injury, genes etc...) is written in a very 'scientific' mode. That is measuring and comparing things that are 'fixed' like genes or numbers of injuries. research can be about collecting stories, noticing things and seeing if other people notice them too. You might combine the two and look at the core thing you mention "dancer's voice'.

    Great start I think
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I will take that into account about not necessarily comparing factual, scientific things but things I see, read, hear about. Thanks for the advice. I am still working on summarizing this part more effectively.

    ReplyDelete