Monday 15 November 2010

How to post a Wiki

What is a Wiki?
A wiki was something I was unfamiliar with before this course. I had heard of the term but didnt really know what it was or how to use it. Alan explained a wiki in more detail at the start of the campus session on Wednesday.

Definition: A wiki is a website that allows the easy creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

If any of you are like me I was unsure about how to post a Wiki for task 2c so I uploaded my whole essay to my blog! Alan explained that part of this course is to find and learn new tools to help us with our professional practice. After searching the internet for information on how to set up a Wiki I found some useful information on Wikihow.com. I realised there are many different wiki sites you can use but I came across Wiki Spaces and set up an account through them. It was really easy to do. I then realised I could upload my essay from my blog to Wiki Spaces so I have it on there now. This way I can go back and edit my thoughts the more I learn.

Here is the link to my Wiki: http://lauraweir.wikispaces.com/Reflective+Theory
Let me know if any of you guys decide to set up an account with Wiki Spaces as well.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Laura! I had exactly the same question! I looked around on Google and set up an account with another wiki site, but I couldn't work out how to post onto it and didn't seem like the right sort of site for what I wanted. I'm going to try out Wiki Spaces and see if it is more successful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really helpful, I had no idea either. Just looked at yours and will give that a go now. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, glad you found out about the wonders of the wiki world. I'd like to point you to a nice youtube video explaining the wiki functions in a real fun way. Go check it out on http://www.wordonwiki.com/blogs/2010/01/wikis-plain-english

    ReplyDelete