Friday 4 March 2011

5b Codes of Practice

Codes of Practice

I am currently a Swing Dancer at Celebration Music Theatre, performing 4 shows a week. I was recently made Dance Captain as well since I know every ones place. I thought therefore,  I would add to task 5b and include what I feel is now my current Code of Conduct and role.

Code of Conduct for Swing Dancer/Dance Captain
- Ensure show is kept as the original choreography was set
- Watch the show and take notes of any mistakes, things that go wrong etc
- Schedule rehearsals for blocking, notes and practice
- Ensure cast are well informed of rehearsal times
- Rehearse new choreography if Choreographer is not present
- Ensure I know all 4 places for role of swing
- Inform all cast members of any changes to the show

As there are no actual guidelines set at my workplace, I decided to do some research and found these guidelines from the Actors Equity Association. This reiterates my role of maintaining the show standard as it was originally intended to be done.
As I was dance Captain before I know the main duties involved and it can be a hard task. Your job never ends even when performing onstage as you can still be taking mental notes of what needs to be cleaned, changed, noted down. It is important to have respect from your cast and good people skills as you are giving people notes that don't always see what they are doing wrong.

I also found this article on Suzanne Hylenski who is a Swing and Dance Captain in Mary Poppin's on Broadway. She talks about the challenges of learning different parts and the skills and personality you need for this type of role.

Looking into the code of conduct and role of a Dance Captain has helped me to understand what is expected from me a bit more. I am hoping taking this on will help me more with my inquiry into Arts Management and I will be faced with issues that a Manager will come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment