Wednesday 30 March 2011

Tools of Professional Inquiry

I have been reading through course reader 6 before I start to carry out the tasks set. Here are my thoughts on the ideas and questions raised.

Professional Inquiry
In my current job there are similarities in what I do and professional inquiry. As Dance Captain it is my job to keep the show clean and choreography as originally intended. It has been helpful to research some of the Fosse and 60's style numbers on YouTube to see how it should look. Also, when new choreography has been created as it was recently for a Cher set we carried out research on the Internet to see the different moves that were done back then i.e. mashed potato, the pony, snorkel and swim, hitch hiker and we incorporated these moves into the number. As Dance Captain I have found myself collecting different views from managers and directors before making a decision. For example if I want to add an element to the show such as teaching the singers some of our choreography I will get managers opinions before putting it into action. Therefore in certain cases my job often includes aspects of professional inquiry.
I feel it is different in the way that I rarely need to conduct interviews or surveys for what I do. I think the most important factor when conducting professional inquiry is to make sure the research is valid with good detail and un biased.

Data Collection Tools
In preparation for my observation pilot I will need to ensure I have permission from the company manager to watch/record the relevant events. I will most likely need to inform all participants that are being observed. However, this can affect the way people behave. I will be focusing on the way the show is run by management. For example for each show there is a manager on duty that oversees everything to make sure things run smoothly. It would be interesting to observe this role. For this I would record using written notes as to follow with a video camera in the theatre when a show is on would not be suitable. For my final professional inquiry however, I wish to use video recording as a way to record my observations and interviews I may conduct.
Insider-researcher
I am currently working as a Dancer/Dance Captain at Celebration Music Theatre. Working in the theatre environment gives me a good opportunity to do some inside-research. As Dance Captain I have a great working relationship with many of the managers here as well as ushers, box office staff etc. As a fairly small theatre I feel my position would be a strong one for research in that I can conduct surveys and interviews with many different employees. It is a very new company and theatre that is just getting started, which will need to be taken into consideration. This is the first year it is open so there will definitely be some glitches in the operation of the theatre along the way. Please comment on my SIG with your thoughts on this matter: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=62&post=375&uid=145821545478191#post375

Interview
Using interviews as research is definitely a tool I think I will use. I intend to prepare for this by doing the following:
- Prepare a covering information sheet that explains the inquiry for participants to read before the interview
- Prepare consent forms to give to participants in order to use any information disclosed to me
- Write and email or talk to the manager of the theatre to explain what I am doing and ask to conduct interviews with employees
- Gain permission from participants if taping the interview
I definitely will conduct a one to one, face to face interview with various people at work with a semi-structured framework. This will allow the participant to elaborate on the questions which may uncover some interesting findings.

Focus Groups
I feel that a focus group would be a useful tool to use as it is often conducted by managers in organisations to gain ideas and in doing this I feel I would gain a new skill needed for management. I would be able to act as the authoritative figure in order to keep things on track. The good thing about focus groups is that  allows people to discuss topics with one another which can lead to more in depth discussion and raise other issues as well. It also allows you to observe participants beyond what they are talking about such as their emotions, facial expressions and the tone they use. The main disadvantages to this is that it can become dominated by a couple of people in the group who have a lot to say. If there are any sensitive topics participants may not wish to share this amongst the group. There is also the argument that the environment in which these focus groups take place can influence some of the responses. I think it will be important to have a focus group recorded so that all information can be thorally reviewed.

Piloting a Questionnaire
It is important to carry out pilot questionnaires to trial them out and highlight any potential problems. I plan to gain feedback on how people found the format and layout and the questions. I plan to find out how long it takes for people to complete them, how they found the questions and whether any questions needed to be explained further. Piloting also should allow me to see if any questions will need to be rephrased.

Analysing Questionnaires
Based on Hawe et al 1990:148-150, there are four basic steps to analysing qualitative data:
-Organise the data
- Shape the data into information
- Interpret and summarize the information
- Explain the information
questionnaires are often used in business to gain customer feedback. When I danced with on board Cunard Lines passengers had the chance to fill out a comment form on the entertainment. It can point out which areas are doing well and which need improvement. The data can then be analysed and used to re-plan aspects of the business.

1 comment:

  1. Yes - relating some of these tasks to your job make sense - doing reviews and gathering data in the workplace benefit from applying these tools well. When you do your professional inquiry you will have gotten ethical approval from the university to carry out the inquiry because you will have explained what you are doing and a formal Board actually questions your approach to make sure it is sound. Here - to practice these ways of working informally with friends - try to do informal practice with the tools in order to see where there might be pitfalls or benefits - like Carly's number of questions - in hindsight - good but a lot to go through.

    ReplyDelete