Thursday 3 March 2011

Are you just too nice?

Are you just too nice??

As I am currently the Swing and Dance Captain at my work, I have needed to schedule rehearsals for blocking myself into the show. So, after scheduled a rehearsal for 5pm today, which had been approved and cleared by stage management I received an email from one of the dancers stating that a couple of them wanted to take ballet class at 4:30pm. To accommodate their request I decided to change rehearsal to 3pm giving them time to take class. I then had a message from some of the other dancers saying they were not going to Ballet. It had become a problem with the girls who didn't want to take class to come in, go home for a few hours then come back for the show. After debating it I decided to switch it back to 5pm as planned and let the girls know that next time there is rehearsal it will not be changed for any other extra activities outside of work.
Was I trying to be too nice? After being in this dilemma, I realised my mistake was to try and accommodate them. Work should take first priority and trying to get myself blocked into the show for next week is very important.
So, after learning my lesson and for those of you interested or already in the business side of things what do you think? Can you be too nice for business?

Related Articles:
Are you just too nice? (Article 324 from Innovative Leader Volume 7, Number 2, February 1998)
Are you too nice a Boss? (Forbes, Chaniga Vorasarun, Jun 2009)

1 comment:

  1. I think it can be really difficult as a dance captain because you technically aren't people's boss, you are still their colleague, but you have to tell them what to do. I think you were probably right to try and accommodate them this one time. It shows willing on your part and I think will gain you the respect of the dancers. The fact that it didn't work means that you can now say with authority that call times are set in stone.

    I think when you are in charge of people, especially when you have to closely work with them, it is good to be as accommodating as possible but I think you are right that it is possible to be too nice. You need to make it clear who is in charge. It is a line you have to tread carefully I guess.

    ReplyDelete