Monday 25 April 2011

Critical Reflection and Summary: Digital Portfolio

Critical Reflection and Summary: Digital Portfolio
In this module, WBS3835 I have examined my professional practice further by looking at how others have defined inquiry and research. I have engaged with the BAPP network as well as my professional work community to refine my questions and ideas.
The first part of this module looked at developing lines of professional inquiry. My first sets of questions were to understand the difference between leaders and managers and the roles of each (Appendix A). Asking these questions allowed me to examine my own workplace and any issues there. I discussed these questions further on my Facebook SIG (Appendix B), which then led to discussing skills managers should posses. Here we found the most important skills to be communication, leadership, decision making, organizational and analytical. I further developed and expanded my set of questions and took these to my workplace to gain some insight from my colleagues. I decided to conduct two informal interviews on with a manager and one with a dancer (Apendix C) that looked into managerial roles and skills and then into career transitioning from performer to manager.
The second part of this module looked at professional ethics. I found this a very interesting part of the module as it was something I had not considered much before this. I learnt how important it is to adhere to ethical standards in my inquiry especially where people are involved to ensure no harm is caused. I started by looking at my workplace and what the code of practice might be there (Appendix D) as a dancer and then as a manager or director. I then researched what my current code of practice is as a swing and dance captain in the show (Appendix E), which helped me to have a better understanding of what is expected of me in this new company. I examined the core values of my workplace (Appendix F) as well as my personal virtues (Appendix G). I learnt just how important ethics are in business. The trustworthiness of a business, the customer service, customer care, the way they are taken care of and the urge to retain their customers are all part of business ethics. Business ethics leave a long lasting impression on a customer, which build trust and helps retain them and a strong ethical value can take a business a long way. In my professional inquiry it will be vital to gain permission from managers in my workplace and consent from any participants I use.
The final part of this module examined the different inquiry tools I can use to carry out my professional inquiry. Here I learnt the different ways in which knowledge can be collected, analyzed and interpretated to aid my line of inquiry. Course Reader 6 set gave a brief introduction to the different tools used for inquiry (Appendix H). Here I learnt how to conduct a survey using survey monkey (Appendix I), in which BAAP students were participants. I was also given some feedback from my SIG about the way in which questions were worded and some of my answer options. I now feel confident in going forward and creating a new survey and feel this is an important tool to gain quantative information for my inquiry. I also conducted a pilot interview (Appendix J), pilot observation (Appendix K), focus group and reflected on the merits and limits of each (Appendix L).  Conducting pilots of each tool has helped me to gain a better understanding of how to use these tools to gain the best results. For example, the next time I use the observation tool I will video tape what it is I am analyzing as you cannot always write everything down.
I have also learnt how to review literature to gain more knowledge on management. Doing this has also opened up more topics and ideas, for example looking into career development programs in theatres in order to train managers in house. (Appendix M)
Finally, I have been introduced to a new tool ‘Delicious’ (Appendix N). This enables me to bookmark any relevant websites or sources of information I may need to refer to for my line of inquiry. I have found this very easy to use and a great way to easily access the sites I often refer to.
Summary
The tasks carried out over the course of this module have enabled me to develop my initial ideas into a line of inquiry. I have learnt how ethics will play an important part not only in conducting my inquiry but also in my everyday practice as a dancer and how good work ethics can help you go a long way in business. I have tried and tested tools of professional inquiry- survey, observation, focus group and observation- analyzing which might be the best to use in my inquiry and learning how to improve on them next time around. Reviewing literature has allowed me to see what has been written about arts management and what has not, why my inquiry is relevant and how it adds to what has already been written. I now feel I have the knowledge and understanding to propose my inquiry plan.
Appendix
Appendix A
Appendix B
Appendix C
Appendix D
Appendix E
Appendix F
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/03/core-values-and-work-ethics.html
Appendix G
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/03/5c-professional-ethics.html
Appendix H
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/03/tools-of-professional-inquiry.html
Appendix I
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/04/6a-pilot-survey.html
Appendix J
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/04/6a-pilot-interview.html
Appendix K
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/04/6a-pilot-observation.html
Appendix L
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/04/6b-critical-reflection-on-four-tools-of.html
Appendix N
http://lauraweir2001.blogspot.com/2011/04/6d-delicious-tags.html

No comments:

Post a Comment