Friday 11 February 2011

Arts Psychology- Dancers In Transition

Arts Psychology

I came across this really interesting report on the psychological profiling of dancers in transition. I think it was Mina that was interested in the psychology of dancers and it might help you as research. I was surprised to find we are highly intelligent- typically in the top 15% of the population. It also gives insight to what career paths we may wish to pursue:

"Practical dancers, on the one hand, may want to continue with something physical e.g. in sport and leisure or physiotherapy, or material e.g. in business and administration. Creatives, on the other hand, will want to express their creativity in choreography, directing their own dance groups, or outside dance in the arts and media or in creative tasks within other disciplines like running one’s own company. "
(Andrew Evans, Director of Arts Psychology Consultants, London © 1995)

I think I am more practical than creative. Studying at Elmhurst I found choreography a but of a challenge and although I enjoyed it, it did not necessarily come so naturally like other dancers. I find I am practical in that even when I am not dancing I have to do some form of exercise everyday finding myself at the gym everyday when in between contracts. This is why I feel I may be suited to a future career in personal training and/or fitness. I also think I can find that same physical pleasure by directing a production as I also enjoy organising, managing and seeing work in progress.

"All this amounts to a potential to do very well. Studies of the academic progress of dancers have revealed several to be high achievers in the top flight of their courses, and a number of later careers reveal similar determination and personal effectiveness. Where the psychological problems of Transition have been sympathetically and positively dealt with, including support, warmth and encouragement from friends, partners and those assisting transition, the considerable talents of the dancer may be liberated to work - if not with the same passion as dance can gave - with a new set of goals and hopefully a new and different passion which may result in rewards other than the ecstasy of the dance, the feeling one is special and the constant feedback of applause."
(Andrew Evans, Director of Arts Psychology Consultants, London © 1995)

I found the section on "Motivation" true in the list of important values:
"5 Most important values: Challenge, Communication, Artistic work, Creativity, Variety"
(Andrew Evans, Director of Arts Psychology Consultants, London © 1995)

I definitely like to be challenged in my work, which I currently get from dancing as I am constantly learning new shows. My artistic work is very important to me in that I do it to the best of my ability. I like variety hence why I have never taken the same contract twice.

"A structured Careers Analysis is an effective part of transition".
(Andrew Evans, Director of Arts Psychology Consultants, London © 1995)

I feel this is what I am currently trying to do for this module. I need to analyse my current career in order to figure out what I need to gain to effectively transition from being a dancer. I have to establish what I know, what I don't know and what I need to know in order to get to the next stage of my career. This will be an evolving process that will continue through the transition period into my next career.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, Laura!

    I found the report very interesting, not only for the data and observaation it shows, but for the academic method of the research and its logical structure that lead to the conclusion.
    I expect this information would also be beneficial for performers looking at career transition, such as Natalie?

    It is surprising how dancers are such intelligent beings; 'typically in the top 15% of the population'! This pushed my intention to study the mental aspect of this physical art form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - the lifelong learning approaches I have done assure us that we will all have several careers in the new society scheme of things - what aspects or roles appeal to you most - what sort of management post would you be interested in?

    ReplyDelete