Tuesday 8 February 2011

Knowledge and Skills in the Workplace

Identifying Knowledge and Skills in the Workplace
Knowledge

Disciplinary Knowledge
This tends to be knowledge that is categorized for example what we learn at school; maths, science, English etc. The problem with this outlook on knowledge is that life and our workplace does not fit into neat little categories. When faced with problems we don’t say “how would a scientist solve this?” Or “how would a mathematician solve this problem?” Instead we use a more creative way to address everyday situations as they come.

Sector Based Knowledge/Inter-disciplinary Knowledge
This is where “more than one discipline is being used to contextualize the knowledge”. I am a freelance dancer but I also work as a self-employed promotional model in-between contracts. For this I also need to understand certain aspects of business.

Trans-disciplinary Knowledge
In order to get on in the world of work we need an understanding of how other disciplines function. Carolin Kreyber argues that in an ever-changing world problems do not arise as different subjects but within trans-disciplinary knowledge.

I would say I work in a trans-disciplinary workplace. As said above I am not always just a dancer, but I do a number of different jobs when not in a contract. Even when I am working in a contract feel that I use more than the “dance” discipline. An example of this would be when I was Dance Captain. My role included scheduling rehearsals,  giving notes to the cast on the show, teaching the choreography to new dancers and being on-hand for all eventualities, such as when a cast member was injured and I stepped in and did her part as well as mine. I used concepts of business and education as well as my “dance” knowledge. The workplace can be very unpredictable as you never know what may be thrown at you. I think it is important to have a good understanding of other disciplines.

My current capabilities and competencies are:
-          I can learn a number of different dancers places
-          I am able to teach dance routines to other dancers as well as all different parts
-          I can critique a show well and give constructive notes to the cast
-          I can arrange rehearsals, meeting with managers
-          I am able to sell a wide range of products given the brief

The above I only know how to do due to learning on the job and not because I was taught this at school. I think for the future I am going to need a better understanding of the management and business side of entertainment. I would also like to gain more knowledge in nutrition, health and fitness for my future career.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Laura I agree with you completely the best and most valuable skills and knowledge you can acquire are whilst on a job and not whilst in education. I personally don't think that any type of education or schooling can prepare you for what the real world is like otherwise we would all be employed and have big careers.

    ReplyDelete