Monday 7 February 2011

Developing Lines of Professional Inquiry

In order to develop a set of questions I first need to establish my current professional practice is and where I would like to go after. Currently I am a professional dancer. I go from contract to contract and when I am not dancing I work as a promotional model for various clients and brands. This is fine for now, but my reasoning behind taking this course was to establish what field I would like to go into after my life in dance. I have been dancing for almost 6 years now professionally and I am getting married this September. Although I plan to continue dancing for many more years, I took this course to help my confidence when I finally stop so I have something to fall back on and the knowledge to pursue it.

I have been thinking more and more over the past few months what I would like to pursue after dance and I have come up with the following:
1) Artistic Director, Producer or Casting Director
2) Personal Trainer/Aerobics and Dance Instructor

With that being said I would like to develop a set of questions that will help me in my future professional practice, which I may find links to my current pracice as well. I am excited about starting my new job in the States as I am going to be a part of a brand new show and development of a new theatre family. I think this will help in my understanding of setting up new businesses.

1) Artistic Director, Producer or Casting Director?
- What are the roles of the each and what other skills or qualifications would I need to acquire such position?
- How can I transition from Dancer to this role?
- Running a successful business.

2) Personal Trainer/Aerobics and Dance Instructor
- What is the role of a personal trainer and what skills and other qualifications would I need?
- What workouts are there that have been a success? Why were they successful?
- How could I incorporate dance and aerobics to make a unique workout?
- Why is dance such a good way to keep fit?
- Health and Nutrition
- Could look into the dancers and non-dancers idea presented in Task 2d (eating habits, personality traits, bodies, difference in genetics, difference in jobs)

I feel both these sets of questions will raise issues that I am currently facing in my professional practice. I noticed many of the blogs up so far raise the question of castings and whether it is all based on how you look over your ability. This is something I too could explore looking at the role of casting directors and what they look for.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there. Like you I am looking at possible changes in direction in my career: how I can best make the transition and how my current skills and expertise may be incorporated to my advantage. Do you think there is a possible SIG somewhere here...?

    ReplyDelete